Elder Brad and Sister Marie Parkinson

Elder Brad and Sister Marie Parkinson



Called to serve in the New Mexico, Farmington Mission in the Navajo Nation, (Many Farms, AZ) from Jan 2011 to July 2012







Mission Picture

Mission Picture
Ready to Serve

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Best of the Rez Week 65

Best of the Rez     Week 65     April 2nd to April 8th

Okay, so this is the big question, I didn’t get anyone to readily accept the position at Many Farms but did anyone accept New Jersey?  Way to go Elder Webster!  I am sure everyone is well aware that it is a huge concern that another senior missionary couple is ready to take both our places -on the Rez and in Jersey.  At our last district meeting, they must have read at least 10 couples that are coming to the Rez and one in July.  They are a perfect fit but she doesn’t play the piano.  We will just have to see what happens between now and then.

1)      Monday was Monday.  Seminary is Jeremiah—so sad.  The missionaries came for the computer and then it was just housecleaning and laundry.  The elders headed to Gallup for a 3 day conference so we are on our own.  We drove up to Rock Point for piano and that was fun.  Then we headed home for our 2 sisters and temple prep.  That went really well.  Then prepare more Jeremiah and to bed.

2)      Tuesday was not so great.  Last year they put a gate on the church property and it fell apart so we fixed that.  Then it was a calm day preparing for seminary and doing the blog thing.  Then piano and I had one of my families not show for the 2nd straight week.  ARP fell through and our lesson fell through.  A rather fell through day.

3)      Today was a little bit better.  Seminary was good and then we had a nice walk up the Mesa.  We had a really calm day and then waited for all the no shows at piano.  EP went out with Brother Draper to do some visits.  My last 4 came and since they are a family – they all came together.  We had some really good lessons but I just can’t do them justice with trying to run from piano to piano. 
Wahoo!  We taught a lesson.  We taught Tivona’s family and it was great and horrid at the same time. The lesson went fine—but the father said that Tivona used to be a straight A student and now since she joined the church her grades have dropped.  He blamed it on the church and her piano.  I literally had tears rolling down my face.  Tivona was trying to help me which made it worse.  (Not to mention she has missed church for 3 weeks and piano lessons 2 different weeks.) Anyhow, we made it through the lesson and home where hot baths are supposed to make everything go away.

4)      Better!  Seminary was almost fun and then a day off of exercise.  EP went to Round Rock to umpire a girl’s softball team but I stayed home in case a piano lesson came.  My first people arrived about the same time EP got back.  I taught 5 piano lessons and we did one missionary lesson with Clancy and Sissy.  They were to be baptized in February but we do have faith it will happen before July. 

5)      Fun Day!  Well, it didn’t start so great.  I made the German Pancakes wrong and they were not so good, but EP made regular pancakes to go with my peach syrup.  Then we headed to Chinle.  We picked up the Lybbert’s serving in Pinon (from Canada) and we went down to walk the Canyon.  Sister Lybbert made it about 2/3’s of the way down but was nervous of her arthritis so we stopped to rest.  We came up very slowly and stopped on every bench to talk with the German tourists.  Actually we saw 5 couples from Germany and one from Holland.  Fun day!  Then all the senior couples from our district met at Garcia’s for dinner.  GREAT TIME!  After we were stuffed we went to our district meeting and that was also good.  We have a new couple that will be stationed in Tsalie/Lukachukai that was introduced.  They are the Wright’s from Jerome, Idaho, now but spent most of their life in Nevada.  They are the most precious couple ever.  When I hear people say “I couldn’t be a missionary on the Rez” I just want to scream.  Here is this dear little precious woman that is here and committed to make a difference on the Rez.  I have no idea how old they are but they don’t move real fast.  But their smiles and hearts are very young.  Their trailer is not hooked up yet so they are serving in Dulcie over in NM and have been really working hard to get people out over there.  I promise that at the next meeting I am going to get some pictures.
We rushed home to teach piano and I had 2 of 5 show up.  We called Sister Yoe to see if she could come in with Selena and she was really sick so we took dinner out to them. 
The rest of the evening was calm.  Our copy of “War Horse” came so we popped it in and tried to enjoy ourselves watching a war movie.

6)      Now this was interesting.  Sister Gene showed up for help with her Sacrament meeting talk even before I was ready.  I worked with her and before she left the Benally’s 5 showed up for piano lessons at the same time as the carpet cleaning people.  I had laundry, ironing and mending strung across the trailer floor so I couldn’t send them over here either.  (First off, why weren’t we told and second why didn’t they start at the young elders?)  Anyway, I lost one of my pianos but eventually we finished and I was exhausted.  EP had put most everything in the trailer away, so I hurried and finished the mending and the carpet cleaners took over our place.  We thought we would drive around and try to see people but they ran their hoses in front of our ride, so we just went back to the church and played the piano. 
Once we could get in our trailer we got cleaned up and tried to find people.  No luck.  Easter celebrations had already started and we couldn’t find anyone home.

7)      Now this will totally floor all those of you that read consistently, but the bishop didn’t show up for church today.  He went to a family party about 30 miles from here.  We had 47 (counting 6 visitors) show up for church BUT it was a happy day!  Teresa and Junior were there and Junior even played for Priesthood meeting with only one lesson.  I didn’t get to hear it but I was sure proud of him.  AND Joe Sam came.  He had promised us he would and he did.  He wore his Medicine Man necklace but he was there and I was thrilled.  The Primary Presidency spoke in Sacrament meeting, so that meant I had to speak.  Guess what?  I got a nose bleed right in the middle of my talk.  It was not so bad, so I could just hold a tissue and keep going.
Oh and this is the best/WORST!  The Primary was going to sing an Easter song.  You may recall that we have been having a horrid attendance.  At our last meeting before conference we had 3 boys show up and the week before that – no one.  I taught them the song and said we would do it.  Two of the three showed up but I figured we would do our best.  The pianist didn’t show up so I showed Elder Openshaw what to do and he handled it fine.  So, we stood up there and I invited any other primary children or anyone who wanted to come up and sign with me.  Yes, sign.  I had 3 visitors and 2 girls that were not there last week so there was a total of 7 of us.  I then showed everyone the signs for ‘It Shouldn’t Be Hard to Sit Very Still.’  Even some of the adults were signing in the audience.  So then I said, “Okay, Elder Openshaw will now play it for us so we can sing and sign for you.”  The music started and I sang a solo while all the children signed.  I could have killed them.  There I was making a fool out of myself.  I told EP that I couldn’t even look his way because I knew he would be laughing.  “Oh, no, I wasn’t laughing—I was crying.”  So much for my talent! 
After church we had to wait a while for EP.  Brother Simpson came in and told Tivona what a good little player she was becoming.  He then asked me how she came to and from church.  I told him her parents usually brought her and then we would take her home.  “But,” I said and then stopped.  We just stared for a minute and then he said, “You are leaving.  Who then?  This little girl is just like your own.”  I just stood there till he finally walked away.
When we dropped Tivona off at her house, her Grandma, Evelyn came out to talk to us.  We baptized her the same day but she stopped coming in January sometime.  She is really having trouble walking – has lost her balance and a lot of her motor skills.  EP gave her some blessings and we thought she didn’t think they worked so well, so she went back to her ceremonies.  Well, she walked up to our pick-up best she could, laid her arms down on the side and started to cry.  “I miss church!”  We talked for a while and I hope it felt good.  We have an appointment to teach them on Wednesday.  We will see if we can get in.  I love that woman dearly so I am really hoping for the best there.  Things have not been going right lately—so we will see.
Home and left over pancakes but we did put a roast in for a real Easter dinner.  We had a bit of a nap and then our real meal and then we decided to just take a walk.  It was wonderful and we talked with the motorcycle man down the road with all the ‘keep out’ signs.  They had a Mormon garden so we asked about that and ended up having a really fun chat. 

So week 65 is now in the past.  Having Joe Sam come to church was a true delight.  The numbers were still way low but I felt good that something positive happened.  I do not think we will be close to 88 when Elder Callister comes but we cannot let that ruin the good things we see happen.  It is also amazing to be around the other senior couples and grow from their testimonies and positive attitudes.  We have made such wonderful friends here.  Life is always full of mystery and surprises on the Rez, but there is plenty of love here as well.

The Church is True,

            Listen Right,

                        Our love, faith, and prayers,

                                    Elder and Sister Parkinson
Elder Parkinson and Elder Lybbert at the bottom
in front of White House.

A pretty flower on the way down.  It is fun to see color
on the Rez.

Sister Lybbert and I waiting at the top.
Notice the green trees behind us!
Elder Lybbert and EP reach the top.
Now can you believe he did it in a white shirt and tie.
He said it was easier than changing clothes.
He would have never made a PE major!







1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a rough week. Hang in there. We love you.

    ReplyDelete