Elder Brad and Sister Marie Parkinson

Elder Brad and Sister Marie Parkinson



Called to serve in the New Mexico, Farmington Mission in the Navajo Nation, (Many Farms, AZ) from Jan 2011 to July 2012







Mission Picture

Mission Picture
Ready to Serve

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Best of the Rez Week 42

Best of the Rez     Week 42     October 23 to October 30th

Okay, well, I am sure that some of you have noticed a lack of commitment to the old weekly updates and all that.  I have been getting a few people mentioning that fact.  I must admit, that was a boost in my moral.  I guess that I got a little overwhelmed with everything.  First off, I am so embarrassed at people telling me that we are doing so much – ya-da  ya-da.  If you were here, you would see that we are doing very little indeed.  Yes, we are working, but President Jones tells us over and over again, that we are only going to see baby steps while the adversary is making giant steps.  I must admit, that hurts.
Some of you are telling us that we are training you how to be senior missionaries.  If so, I do have some very good advice—the two of you must find ample ways of being upbeat and positive; especially when the times get tough.  There has just got to be a time when you come home, shut the door and find joy in life.  Our mission president is the best on letting us call home and live a little.  We do not have the same regulations as the young elders and we need to take advantage of that maybe even a little more.  The young elders were talking with me the other day and mentioned that 1) they get transferred and ward issues do not get to them as much and 2) they can just shut the ward out and go do their work.  We on the other hand, are here to try to help this little ward as much as we can.  I am sure that we should feel terrific as we have gone to 6-7 ward members holding positions clear up to 13.  Of those called, 2 are non-functioning and 1 was just called last week.  Progress right—oh I do so pray.

At any rate, I have decided that I will at least make some attempt to jot down a few notes of each week.  I loved having a good account on the blog which can be published when we finish, but I am not sure what to do now.  For those of you that noticed I had quit, thank you for your comments and concern.  An email from home means more than life to me!!!!!!!!!!!!

It has been a long time, but I actually loved this week.  I thought of calling it party week.

1)      On Thursday, Sister Curley went to the hospital for some work so we had the family over for supper.  It was so good and we had a really good time.  We love the Curley’s and especially teaching the girls seminary.

2)      Friday was the best.  I cooked most of the afternoon and then between piano lessons would run back and cook some more. That evening we had the other senior couples come over for dinner and a Del Parkinson Piano Recital.  BYUI had sent me his DVD and we just had to share.  The food was great and they loved the music as well.  AND we made Del famous that night.  He is now the first concert pianist to perform a concert on the same night in two different continents.  While he was playing for us in Many Farms
(DVD) he was performing live in Brazil.  It was a great night.

3)      Saturday they had a Youth Dance and as Seminary teachers we attended.  The decorations were great, the music was great, there were tons of kids and no one had any idea what to do.  I jumped out on that floor and they are still wondering what hit them.  We did the chicken dance and YMCA and the Cha Cha and 2-Step.  We had a ball.  You wouldn’t have believed Elder Parkinson but he has let me know several times, that will not be happening when we are released.  The bishop of Chinle, Bishop Smith, came over and asked how many Red Bulls I had drunk before the dance.  Elder Parkinson told him that was my normal state and it is not always a blessing.

4)      Sunday was ordinary church and then we overbooked ourselves for the night.  We had a good lesson with Evelyn but it was late waiting for her daughter to come.  That made us late for our Gospel class but it still went great.  However, we did not get our third one in but hopefully we can catch them later.

The Church is True,

            It is all worth it!

                        Our faith and prayers,

                                    Elder/Sister Parkinson
I was so angry that I had forgotten to get pictures of our dinner
that I had the Robert's sit down when we were cleaning up.
They had served in Hungry and had sat in front of the
Liszt Academy and listened to the music.
Since the entire programs was Liszt and picures
from around Hungry--they were most delighted.

I will get some pictures of the dance from the Roberts.

No comments:

Post a Comment