Elder Brad and Sister Marie Parkinson

Elder Brad and Sister Marie Parkinson



Called to serve in the New Mexico, Farmington Mission in the Navajo Nation, (Many Farms, AZ) from Jan 2011 to July 2012







Mission Picture

Mission Picture
Ready to Serve

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Best of the Rez Week 60

Best of the Rez     Week 60   February 27th to March 4th

It has already been mentioned that I have been completely under the weather this week: physically, mentally and especially emotionally.  Oh the joys of getting old and wearing out - I guess.

1)      Happy Birthday Luke.  We cancelled seminary today and slept.  The young elders came over for 3 hours to work on the computer and EP entertained them with stories while the other one would use the internet.
We went up to Rock Point and taught piano.  We went Home Teaching to the Simpson’s and they were surely excited to have us there.  Then we went to find a family and after a  bit of a search we found them but no one was home.
We came back to Many Farms and I went right back to bed.

2)      EP taught seminary while I watched.  We are in Psalms now.  Then a big morning nap. We taught Dale Mitchell literacy and then piano lessons were a bit crazy with everyone coming at the same time.  EP played BB with some and then I had to teach piano while EP taught ARP.  I had 3 new students today. 

3)      Seminary, and nap for me while EP goes to the church to walk and shot BB.  I still did not feel well at all but EP wanted to go try some people.  We got the mail and I got a box.  EP had to open it right away hoping it would help cheer me up.  IT DID!  My darling Susan, a student from 1990-91, had decorated sugar cookies into thank-you’s that are so cute.  What a talent she has but even more important was her timing.  We then tried 7 families but no one was home.
Piano had everyone show up at the same time again including the young elders with interviews so the church was crazy for a few minutes.  YM got a new president and he showed up for a minute with Bro. Logan so that was great.  (The other counselor works about 2 hours away and stays there during the week.) YW did camp and had a full house.

4)      Pay-day!  Seminary and then listen to the wind blow.  Oh my goodness do we get wind.  Our microwave has a vent that rattles till I want to scream.  I finally had the energy and time to blog this morning. 
I had one piano at 4 that was really late and then her mother came for a temple prep.  Then we had a baptism for 2 Francis’ boys.  We tried them over a year ago and got hung up on after our first visit.  Now they are all happy to be a part of the ward.  Elder Openshaw did the baptizing this time.  As always, he was right on.  Afterward we rushed over to Begaye’s but they were not home so back to the church a minute and then home.

5)      Yea – German pancakes with strawberry syrup.  Then a bit of a slow day.  We went and bought groceries before piano starts at 3.  We also got the Wheeler’s back for piano and missionary lesson.  Their date for baptism is the 17th.  Cute kids!  Then Tivona showed up and as always was so very cute. 
Today I also got another little pick me up in my rather ill week.  One of the young elder’s mothers sent me a thank you note for my blog.  (It is rather interesting how many people are reading the blog that I do not even know.)  Young elders are probably the same all over the world and probably do not fill in a lot of details about their mission.  It is fun that their families can look at the blog and get a little more flavor of what their son’s are going through on the Rez.
The minute the last piano ended we headed to Chinle to eat with the Roberts before the stake youth dance.  The YM Stake President had asked me to do an hour workshop on dancing to start off the evening.  I had so much fun at the last one that I was really excited.  Well, he got released and the new guy knew nothing.  The YW president wasn’t going to have a thing to do with me.  The kids tried to get her to do some of my stuff and we finally got to do one number.  It really wasn’t the best one to start with and didn’t go very well.  After that we left very disappointed.  I guess it is more fun for them to play horrid music so loud you get sick and watch the dance floor COMPLETELY empty for 2 hours.

6)      Today was busy in a very good way.  The young elders had a baptism at 8:00 AM and another at 10:00 AM.   Deidrae Deswood was baptized first and then our little Begay brothers were next.  We found the Begay’s during the Christmas holidays and taught them one lesson.  They missed the next lesson and then I recognized the mother at church the next Sunday.  We turned them over to the new set of young elders but since they were closer to people the other elders were teaching they took them.  Both EP and I talked at their baptism.  Afterwards the one had to have a piano lesson.  Boy, did he ever catch on quickly.
Then Buzz Logan came for a piano lesson.  Oh my, is she cute.  She said she is going to play Sunday and I am praying for that one.
EP got the idea to do a big dinner for our new ward mission leader and the elders to get things going.  Chubby (Bro. Gene), loves to cook ribs so we bought a couple of racks and did some chicken too.  We cooked most of the afternoon and had quite a fun little party.  His wife didn’t show which blew us away but then realized that she was with her mother buying the material to make her mother’s temple dress.  I guess that is a good excuse.
After cleaning up we came home to watch Madison play BB – not so good and then listened to the first half of BYU.  We were smart enough to turn that off and go to bed.
OH! We had another mission ceremony on the Rez.  Elder Shreeve is leaving Monday so we had his suit burning Saturday night.  We all got bundled up and headed out.  We had a great time burning the suit, the stuffed dog and jumping over the fire.  Crazy missionaries!

7)      Sunday comes next.  I was doing a new baptism board since we had 7 new people to add so I rushed over to get everything done only to realize I hadn’t printed off the pictures.  Our attendance was down to about 66 but it was a really nice meeting.  We had 5 people confirmed and a baby blessing.  Then lots of testimonies—many thanking Elder Shreeve as he leaves his mission tomorrow.  And Buzz played the closing song just almost perfect.  She was so cute and so very proud of herself.  I never thought it would happen.  She is only 8 years old and was baptized in December.
Primary was slick with both teachers’ on task.  We had fun in sharing time and music time and played a prophet memory game. 
Home to left over’s which were just great.  I tried a nap but the RS president called the minute I fell asleep and I woke up with a nose bleed.  We got her taken care of, finished the missionary baptism board and went for visits.  We found a few children at home but the adults must be off spending the pay-day money.  We did get a good visit with the Teller’s.  I wish we could get them out to church.  Her oldest son is an alcoholic and she doesn’t dare leave her home for fear what he will steal from her.  So sad. 
Then we went over to a 2 year old birthday party.  They do such huge things—and the saddest part is they really can’t afford them.  Oh well, everyone was having a good time.  Then home to collapse and try to get ready for another week of seminary and mission life in general.  Hopefully, I will feel a bit better and have some energy again.  Then again, naps are wonderful.

And there you have another week on the Rez.  The news came in and we are keeping the 4 young elders for 6 more weeks.  Elder Shreeve goes home and a new one comes in on Tuesday.  I wonder what it would be like for senior couples to transfer. 
I do hope all is well for all of you.  Rexburg finally got some snow—we did too.  March winds are coming for all of us, so hang on to your hats and get ready for March Madness.

The Church is True,

     Sugar Cookies make life Sweeter!

            Our love,

                        Elder and Sister Parkinson
Susan Webb Hansen's Cookies.
Cutest ever!!!

Another view.  Can you see how the cookies
match her homemade card?

Sister Francis and new baby, Mathius,
Marcus and Brother Murphy Francis.
                                                  (When we take pictures, 5 camera's are
going at once, so everyone is looking somewhere.)

Deidrae Deswood's family at her baptism.

Elder Openshaw, Elder Giles, Sister Teresa Begay,
Rodrick, Lamar, their sister, Elder Shreeve,
and the two of us.
Chubby Gene, the rib cook!

Travis Davis, Valeria Davis, Crystal, and Cyrus Wheeler,
and Grandpa Robert Wheeler.
The well worn suit is about to burn.

Elder Bankhead, Elder Giles, the suit,
Elder Shreeve and Elder Openshaw.
Elder Shreeve jumps the fire.  GREAT PIX

Elder Giles tries his jump with more style????

I have tried rotating pictures before, so sorry.
                                                  I am not sure which crazy elder this is!

Our first baby blessing:
The Fransic Family (minus the boys).




1 comment:

  1. Susan makes the MOST amazing cookies I have EVER seen.
    Quite enjoyed your pictures. Sorry for the rough week. We love you and pray for you daily. The boys never forget Grandma and Grandpa on the mission in their prayers.

    Hope you had a great birthday Brad! Sorry I missed the singing. I was teaching piano while the boys sang Happy Birthday to you!

    ReplyDelete