Elder Brad and Sister Marie Parkinson

Elder Brad and Sister Marie Parkinson



Called to serve in the New Mexico, Farmington Mission in the Navajo Nation, (Many Farms, AZ) from Jan 2011 to July 2012







Mission Picture

Mission Picture
Ready to Serve

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Best of the Rez Week 16

Best of the Rez                        Week 16                      May 1st to May 8th
Happy Mother’s Day!  I do hope all you Mother’s had a wonderful day and that all the rest of you took a moment to remember how wonderful your mother’s have been in your life.  How lucky we are to be given the opportunity to come to earth and receive a body as we strive toward eternal progression.
I have really worked this week at re-arranging my attitude to try to help me through my work load, especially on Sunday’s.  I must admit, that I have been to the point of ‘bitter.’  My new attitude was ‘the Lord sent me here because he could trust me to carry on where others may not.’  By the time I walked out of church I was more tired than I have ever been, but at least I wasn’t so bitter.  We had the Davis’ to dinner and Sister Davis gave me the best rebuking I think I have ever had.  So here is the new attitude: “My responsibility is not to worry about your responsibility and whether or not you are responsible enough to do your responsibility.”  I do feel better, but at the same time, it is absolutely essential to get some help in that Primary.  Attitude or not, I cannot keep this up.
And now for another week on the Rez:
1)      Sunday afternoon we had a lesson with one of our families that like coming to our house.  The little girls are rather wild, so I took 2 of them while Elder Parkinson taught the lesson.  We showed the video ‘Finding Faith in Christ.’   The father sat there and cried his eyes out the whole movie.  It was amazing.   Then we had a rather unusual treat – the Elders invited us over for Navajo Taco’s.  They were pretty good; especially after we brought some meat, cheese and tomato and lettuce.  They were very proud of themselves and we were delighted.  That night we were so tired we went to bed early, but the phone rang and we answered to “Ding Dong – The Witch is Dead.”  That set off a series of calls and getting on the internet to find out the latest news. 
2)      Monday we took advantage of a P-Day and after we got the housework finished, we headed out for a nice hike at the Many Farms’ Window Rock.  It is only about 5 miles from town and we just love it.  We hiked right up to the point of the window and mostly slid down.  You can take sleds up there and really have some fun but sleds are something we forgot to pack.  That evening was piano and a lesson with Selena and her mother.
3)      Tuesday we a wonderful awakening.  At around 5 AM Elder said, “My ring is gone.”  We both jumped up and tore our little trailer apart.  All I could think of was us sliding down that sand the day before.  My heart sunk.  Finally we needed to get ready for Seminary so we started our daily routine.  Elder said his prayer, got up and went to the air mattress we had rolled up the night before, opened the bag and his ring was lying on top of it.  Ahhhhh, the power of prayerJ!  After seminary we took a walk against the mesa.  The day was rather calm but I was tickled about a piano lesson with a girl that I am concerned about. That night was Relief Society which is always interesting.  They start it at 5:30 which is impossible for anyone to make.  I was still teaching piano and running back and forth trying to help the 5 women that came.  They told me we were going to exercise so I ran home and changed and then they started with fool storage.  And guess who I got to sit by—the Primary President.  She never even mentioned the fact that she hasn’t been there forever or asked how the children were doing.  Oh well.
We left to teach but got stood up at our first lesson but the second was great.
4)      Now Wednesday I loved!  We had a great Seminary—love teaching the Prophets.  Then we went to Wheeler’s but he got called away to drive a field trip.  We came home and made a picnic and took to Dale Mitchell.  We dearly love that man.  He had a bad wreck and a stroke so he hobbles along in a walker.  The missionaries go to his house once a week and read a chapter with him.  No one will bring him to church.  We asked the Bishop if he wouldn’t stop and get him and bring him to church.  The first week, Dale wasn’t ready, so he just came in his Mormon underwear top and finished dressing at the church.  Anyway, we fixed him a tuna casserole, jello and cookies and had lunch with him.  He was so happy.  Then Elder Parkinson asked if he had ever been married.  He burst into tears, “I killed her, I killed her.”  He got drunk and had a wreck and his wife was killed.  Just as we got the subject changed, he spilled his food and Brad said, “Opps, did you have a wreck?”  Brad looked at me for help but I was between crying and laughing myself.  We stopped at a home we have been trying to work with and had a great visit with her – although the poor thing has very little working for her.  Suggesting activity in the church may help doesn’t always make sense to them.  Next we found another less active and had a great visit with her.  She was much more receptive to us but was sure having her share of problems also; she is trying to adopt and her mother is dying.  Then piano and my little Tivona was so cute.  She is the only non member I teach and we had a little chat on not taking the Lord’s name in vain.  We practiced saying ‘Sugar Beans’ instead. (That what my sister Elaine says.)  Wednesday’s I teach till 8:30 and it was a complete zoo.  Kids on every piano in the church and basketball in the gym.  We rushed out and to the Wheeler’s where we had a great lesson.  Finally home, we were beat by the end but both Brad and I were so hyper we couldn’t sleep.
5)      Thursday was not a good day.  We drove our ride to Farmington where we had a $1100 repair bill.  And that within a month of taxes – maybe we will take up panhandling.  The bright part of the day was the new mountain pass that we went over.  It was just beautiful.  Gloria, have you been over Buffalo Pass? 
6)      Friday Elder Parkinson took his Flora and Fauna slide show to the Chinle Elementary School 2nd Graders for Sister Yoe.  Oh, so much fun.  The kids were so excited.  We both decided teaching high school/college is a good thing.  We stopped for a sandwich and Brent Harrison came running in behind us, “You missed me last night and I couldn’t find you.  I was running all over trying to find you.”  OPPS We had stopped at his house on the way out of town but no one was there—so we hoped we would make it home in time.  After a 5 hour wait in the shop, we missed our appointment.  We sure felt bad but love how excited he is to have us coming.  He is the one we blessed his house and he felt safe at church.  Then we rushed home and cleaned and dusted our house.  I taught a piano lesson and then we headed back to Chinle to judge the elementary science fair.  That was so cute and Elder got a nice badge and present.  By that time we had company in the Chinle LDS parking lot– Jerry and Ardith came for a visit.  Jerry is Brad’s older brother.  They took us out to eat and then we came home.  Oh, it was so much fun to talk and play. 
7)      Now Saturday was a ‘special day.’  Our ward was supposed to play basketball against Ganado but for the second time they canceled.  Well, Many Farms showed up and with a ringer – a 68 year old ringer – Jerry.  Oh my, did they play ball.  It was really fun and we got some new people along with the fun.  After the game we had a quick lunch and then Jerry and Ardith left and we headed to Chinle for a hike with the seminary.  It was a good hike, but I have no idea how Brad did both in one day.  Then home and a couple of lessons, but one fell through. 
8)      Sunday!  Are there words -- NO!  It was one amazing day.  The opening hymn was played by our little Selena – the little 12 year old girl we baptized last month.  Then the sacrament hymn was played by 10 year old Jacob.  The primary sang 2 songs for Mother’s Day; Tivona (the non member) came to accompany and brought 6 people from her family to listen to her.  She looked like an angel and it was so wonderful.  Then Scott, another 10 year old accompanied the other song.  Then Kayla (13) played the closing hymn.  Okay, I was floating everywhere.  Tivona and her cousin stayed for primary.  Only you guessed it – there wasn’t any primary workers there so I got the entire 2 hours.  Oh well, it went rather well, but I was so tired.  I came home and found next week’s lessons so that I will never be that unprepared again.  Now, can someone tell me how to teach two different lessons, to two different age groups at the same time?  And if someone has a sharing time idea – that would be nice as well.  As we left Elder Parkinson said he was cut to the bone.  We usually teach Sunday School together because that teacher doesn’t show up either, but I had to be in Primary.  Well, Selena gave the closing prayer and thanked Elder Parkinson for the lesson but blessed Sister Parkinson to be able to make it next week.  We had the Davis’s to dinner and that was great fun.  When they left we did the dishes and collapsed.  My first Mother’s Day away – I made it.  I cannot lie and say this is so much fun I don’t miss home a bit.  I miss everyone and everything – like Saturday mail and Chiz’s ranch dressing.  My faith has been tested severely, but I pray every day that not only will we make it through this experience but that as we leave it will feel like it was all worth it. 
The Church is True,
            God Bless America,
                        Our prayers and blessings to you all,
                                    Elder and Sister Parkinson
Taylor Price taking Elder Parkinson's seat.
Caitlyn Town and her artwork!

The Elder's / The Chef's

Many Farms Window Rock

Can you see my hairline?  My first statement was that
I did not want my hairline to show because of
my uncontrollable cowlick.
It has been six weeks now--does it show?

Another thing that bothered me was the fact that one
side was an inch longer than the other one.
Perhaps I should have done so, but it didn't help
with the hairline, so why even try?

Buffalo Pass -- so very pretty!

A new trading post.  We bought a drink and some peanuts.

I just loved this.  Elder Parkinson says that it is a natural wall.
It looks to me like Moroni built it. 

If you look carefully, you can wee me waving in our ride.

This picture is dedicated to Sister Sue Clark from Waterflow, NM.

A water fall on the Rez!

Sister Yoe's Class

Elder at his best.

They learned the flora and the fauna.

The famous judge of Chinle Elementary Science Fair.  We forgot
camera at the event-sorry.  They also gave him a nice present.


Company!!! Oh how wonderful that family and friends
will go out of their way to brighten our day.

Humm!  Does this show that the Beleganna's are the last
down the court?  Whatever!  They were the high point men.


If this plays for you be expecting a marvelous rebound.

Team Picture  (front row - left to right)
Dereck Teller, Brent Harrison & son, Elder Parkinson, Jerry Parkinson,
President Curley, Jacob Benally, Jessica Benally, Mariah Woody.
(second row - Tyler Benally, Bishop Benally, Terrance Benally.
(standing) Tryell Benally

A sweat house--but we are not going in!!!!

In the ruins of Canyon De Chilly

Between to old storage bins.  We are praying for knowledge.


Tommy, Tayna, Tivona, Wrytt, Trent Begay (Taylynn missing)
Wrytt is a cousin-- they are trying to be like the Thorntons.









No comments:

Post a Comment